Limmud Festival 2020

Limmud Festival 2020 – Monday 13:00

« Previous timeslot

Next timeslot »

Educational Inclusivity

Maxim Delchev 

Before becoming one of the greatest rabbis of the Mishnah, Rabbi Eliezer was a "simple boy". And no one wanted to teach him... We are going to remind ourselves of his story and think about how to better include people in our communities and projects.

 Educational Inclusivity _ Sefaria.pdf

Forgotten Heroes of the Kindertransport

Mike Levy 

Sir Nicholas Winton helped save 6% of all children on the Kindertransport. Who rescued the other 94%? Mike Levy tells the remarkable but largely forgotten stories of the 'other Wintons' including the audacious Rabbi Schonfeld, the determined Quaker Bertha Bracey and the Dutch hero Geertruida Wijsmuller-Meijer. Their stories deserve to be told.

Liberal, Progressive, Zionist: Reclaiming Intersectionality

Hen Mazzig 

Being a Queer Jew of Color who is a Zionist, and an advocate against racism and for social justice, in the age of online media, can be taxing. Join Hen Mazzig as he shares the story of his family arriving to Israel from Arab lands, the plight of Mizrahim and discussing why being progressive and Zionist, just makes sense.

Spotlight on: Limmud FSU Belarus!

A Spotlight on Limmud FSU Belarus  Irina Belskaia  Michael Kemerov  Grisha ( Ryhor) Abramovich 

International Hub

Part 1: Irina Belskaia and Michael Kemerov, members of Limmud FSU Belarus’ organizing committee will conduct a joint session about the past and the present of the Jewish community in Belarus, the famous Jewish faces from Belarusian places and the miraculous revival of the Jewish life after the Holocaust and the Soviet time. Part 2: Rabbi Grisha Abramovich, Limmud FSU Belarus organizing committee member and Chief Rabbi of the Progressive Jewish community of Belarus will hold a conversation about when the Torah recommends that we remain silent. Why we have to speak at certain moments, but also be silent, keeping our mouth shouted. And how can this be a commandment?

Live Walking Tour: Visit Jewish Barcelona - past and present!

Victor Sorenssen 

A unique virtual tour through the streets of Barcelona's old Jewish quarter exploring the rich and complex Catalan Jewish heritage. We will apply a critical eye to the narratives that have been built up around it. A fascinating story that becomes more moving as we go beyond certain preconceived ideas, myths and clichés.

One Step Further: The Impact of Limmud

Limmud @40 Programming  Raymond Simonson  Clive Lawton  Zahavit Shalev  Helena Miller  Keith Kahn-Harris 

Over the last 40 years, Limmud has had a huge impact on many individuals - but how have its messages of openness and cross-community spirit influenced community organisations, or been the driver for new ones?

Spiritual Care of the Dying

Alexandra Wright 

The coronavirus crisis separated families at critical times of illness. Not being able to visit a loved one in hospital or a care home has caused untold grief and pain. Care for the dying shouldn't only be in the hands of clinicians - however good they are. This session will help us see that we can all offer spiritual care to a loved one.

Where is Jewish feminism today?

Gail Chester 

An informal discussion for feminists of all ages. I can say a bit about Jewish feminism in the 70s and 80s, and I am curious to find out what is happening today. Hopefully this session will enable intergenerational exchange about the joys and frustrations of being a Jewish feminist in any era – I could even mention Jewish suffragettes!

“Is Existentialism a Jewish Idea?"

Joseph Dweck 

Philosophers like Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Husserl, Heidegger, Camus and Sartre explored the nature of being and human existence. They explored the existential nature of meaning, morality, and human freedom. These issues are discussed in Torah as well and this session will explore Existentialism through the lens of Torah.

« Previous timeslot

Next timeslot »